Our decision to get a dog was the final reason to install a fence in my back yard. I always liked the free-flowing yards we had which allowed the kids to run or sled from yard to yard but, I have to admit, the yard looks good with the new fence.
Is a backyard fence going to add value when I sell my Vienna VA home?
After helping hundreds of people buy all sorts of homes, I have rarely had a client dislike a fenced yard. It seems that they define the space and give home owners the framework needed to landscape or set up a kid’s swing set.
A few years ago, a nice couple looking for their first home told that they “did not want to see any homes with chain-link fences”, which was especially funny since they wanted a home in Arlington VA. Well, Arlington VA probably has the highest concentration of chain-link fenced yards in the nation. (that fact has not been verified, and just to be fair, I have seen plenty of Vienna VA ramblers with chain-link fences.) The point is that chain-link is out!
Trying to track down a “return on investment” statistic for you has been impossible, but in my opinion a well maintained fence will increase the appeal of a home and return dollar for dollar what you sunk into it. An old rusty chain-link fence will probably work against you as most home buyers look at those as high priority items for replacement. Home buyers will factor “fence replacement” into their offer or ask for a closing cost credit to preserve their cash position.
Tips for fence sitters:
- Local fence companies often attach a tag at a corner to identify their work, give them a call.
- Get an idea of the style you want… that will compliment your neighborhood (no spite fences, bub!)
- Get two or three estimates from fence companies you have already Googled
- Understand fences should be built to last, and even a small back yard fence will cost over $2,000 (in Northern Virginia)
- If you live in a community with an home owner’s association, there may be restrictions on the style of fence you can install and have a requirement that you submit a plan for approval prior construction.
- My fence was installed within a week by a local Dunn Loring VA company, Carter Fence.
Tips for home sellers:
- Replace any missing or warped boards
- Have a handyman power wash your fence
- Understand that your fence should be a “selling point”
Yes, home buyers do look for fenced yards and, yes, a well maintained fence will add value to your home.