Any home seller who plans to move up to a larger home should do some research on the current competition. It ain’t just pricing that is essential, it is the overall condition of the product you are selling.
Right now, I have a few clients who are planning the big upgrade from their first homes (pre-kids) to new homes… and one large enough for the five of them. Times have changed and today’s HGTV trained home buyers really are placing a premium on basic upgrades, and leaving any home without the basics in the dust. Yes, there are some homes that are so “dated” that the back of the listing sheet price list of updates becomes overwhelming.
In real estate: Small Updates = Good Results
These tips should get you started…
- Replace those brass light fixtures! One of the easiest things for a homeowner can do is update their light fixtures inside and out.
- Sellers, you gotta paint! Another inexpensive investments is fresh paint on the walls, trim and ceilings. Yes, I can recommend a professional painter but if you have the time you can get rolling this weekend. Another tip… look at some of those catalogs stacked up in your house for contemporary color combinations.
- Do you have wallpaper? Wallpaper typically was selected to go with a theme you had in mind at the time. My two cents here: it’s gotta go!
- How full are your closets, basement or garage? It is time to thin out those spaces of 35% of the stuff you see right now. Donate some old clothes. Make some executive decisions and toss some stuff that you haven’t used in five years. If you must keep things then consider renting a storage unit for three to six months. Basically, a brick rambler full of stuff has little appeal.
- Updating your kitchen faucet can be another relatively inexpensive upgrade for a home seller, but if your counter is old orange Formica then you may need a counter and new sink. Bathrooms sometimes feature the original tile in shades of pink, tellow or blue… so know that new tile isn’t overly expensive but can be a great selling point.
You can do a lot to get you home ready to sell in 30 days if you are ready to try.
Yes, that’s the free Internet consultation. Let’s talk about hiring me… here is some more information about how I sell your home.