Although we just finished a record-setting Spring Market (2021), you should know that this has been far different than the roaring 2007 market. Back then, I saw buyers getting no-money-down loans and interest-only loans.
Contrast that to the 2021 market which has been fueled by cash buyers or buyers putting 30% or more down and waiving the appraisal and financing contingency.
In June 2011, Fairfax County, VA had 2,337 detached homes for sale... compare that to just 627 in May 2021. That's not a typo!
One key priority for me is educating my clients so they know what to expect and how to have a competitive advantage. And what they need to do to be an appealing buyer or a more profitable home seller.
Today, my negotiation experience is more valuable to my clients than ever.
There is a lot here to read here, but know you can always call or email me to discuss a question you have about real estate.
First, some history...
When I became a real estate agent in Vienna back in the 1990s, I really had no idea that those sales experiences would provide almost endless content for a real estate blog.
And all that content helped reshape my business when the sky was falling back in 2008 and when many Realtors were quitting the business altogether.
That's when I started reading online, studying how creating useful real estate articles without typical sales hype was actually teaching people. My stories would resonate with people searching for helpful articles.
At first, I had to teach myself WordPress basics, but I knew how to write, was creative, and I loved digital photography which was exactly where the web was headed.
Today's Vienna real estate market is still super competitive and much more expensive...and that's exactly where my hands-on experience and creativity combined with AI smartphone apps really benefit my clients.
I moved to Oakton, VA from Boston in 1990 after working downtown for a Fortune 100 company. It was just before the “.com boom“, and I worked on and helped develop a content-rich intranet site for the customer service people at Putnam. It gave me insight into the future value of email and immediate online information. Everything was applicable to real estate in technology-driven Northern Virginia.
I’m married to a Fairfax County Public School teacher, we have two teenagers and a dog named Skipper.
Virginia Real Estate License (0225 021708) working in the suburban Washington DC metro area. I started as a Realtor in Vienna in 1991. I’m a Listing Agent when clients are selling a home, and a Buyer’s Agent when a client is purchasing a home.
- TTR Sotheby’s International Realty 2015 +
- Vice President at TTR Sotheby's
- Washingtonian Magazine Top Agents
- Northern Virginia Magazine Top Real Estate Agents
- RE/MAX agent from 1994 to 2014
- RE/MAX International Hall of Fame Member
- Northern Virginia Association of Realtors Million Dollar Club
- NVAR Life Member Top Producers Club
- National Association of Realtors Accredited Buyer Representative (ABR) since 1995
- Town & Country Realtors from 1991 to 1994, Vienna Office
- Putnam Investments on High Street in Boston
- Feron's Tennis Shop on Newbury Street in Boston (fun job in college)
- Boston University, B.A. in History
- The Gunnery School, Washington CT
- Coached Vienna Boys U13 lacrosse team
- Volunteer in North East Vienna Citizens Association
- Past PTA Volunteer at Wolftrap Elementary
- Quoted in Money Magazine's article "Best Places to Live"
- Profiled by Verisign Inc. in their small business success story video project
- Native Rhode Islander, enjoys sailing and spending time in Narragansett
- Dunes Club Member
- Vienna Arts Society - Advisory Board Member
- Vienna Woods Swim and Tennis Member
- 7+ gallon blood donor (they keep track at Inova, you should donate too!)
- Can be seen on the W&OD Trail walking Skipper, our eight-year-old Cairn Terrier or sitting at a table in Caffè Amouri enjoying a mocha latte.
Here is how I can help you too.
I have written articles on this site for ten years and covered a ton of topics. Go ahead and search the site and read the blog. It is broken down for sellers or buyers, but there are many tips like buying tear-downs, mortgage financing, offers and negotiations, painting and staging, and just living here in Vienna.
New and Custom Homes
Navigating the teardown and new home building experience is complex. And it isn't just topics like setbacks and lot coverage, but the finished quality, workmanship, and value. I talk with builders about upcoming projects so often my clients are first to know. I have helped clients buy new homes from the "better builders" in Vienna, McLean, Oakton, Falls Church, Arlington, Fairfax and Loudoun Counties.
Yes, I go far beyond the Vienna real estate market.
Staging, Marketing, and Listing
It often takes thirty days to get a home ready to sell, and that project requires teamwork, like you see on HGTV. Maybe you want a checklist like this one?
Meeting with clients at their house helps establish a timeline of what needs to get done, helping everyone get on the same page. It is a team effort, and having a marketing strategy and plan to follow is key.
I have a list of modern colors that sell, and know there is a lot of hard work ahead to help your house have the "wow or it factor" that appeal to today's buyers are secretly searching for.
And I have assembled a team of painters, home stagers, professional photographers and specialists to help you achieve the best market value.
The digital marketing strategy targets where buyers are looking, can be marketed to, and motivate them to call their agent to put together an offer.
Going beyond realty Apps
Home search apps are tools, but often train buyers into a really narrow focus. For example, over the years I have met clients who are on the verge of insanity waiting for an app to "ding" with a new listing.
This troubling reward training may cause anxiety, panic, and a feeling of powerlessness. I talk to clients about this... it's classic FOMO.
Besides providing stability, I look at homes every day and often help clients find ideal homes that online looked terrible or had a typo which put it outside the search area. This happens a lot more than you would expect.
And then there is analysis and offers. Having negotiated hundreds of real estate transactions, I help you craft a winning offer.