You would think that Northern Virginia Real Estate agents would get it by now, but I am still seeing some really bad house photos being posted online. It is a trend that a lot of agents across the country poke fun at, and even have blogs of the worst photos seen in their MLS.
Anyone who is looking for a home to buy is starting out on the Internet while sitting at home or at work (yes, we know). Doing online research like moving to Vienna, or Vienna Real Estate Listings is done easily from a living room in San Diego, California. So it seems obvious to me to get house photos right from the get-go and put as many photos of the highest quality into the MLS or a linking site like Google’s Picassa or Flickr.
The MLS site is the obvious place to start because it feeds consumer real estate sites like Trulia, Redfin and Zillow. Yup, those photos taken by me are disseminated by the almighty MRIS which is Northern Virginia’s MLS. So 30 photos definitely get popped in here for fast syndication.
The McLean and Vienna VA real estate markets are highly competitive so having quality, staged photos should be 50% of your home’s marketing strategy. (this tip is obvious to home buyers)
Here are my tips for better real estate photography:
- If you are unsatisfied with your photos, then hire a professional
- Use a digital camera with a wide angle lens built into the camera
- I update my camera on a regular basis, read more at my FAQs page
- Take plenty of shots (50-100) and then pick and choose on your computer
- Do not use a fish-eye lens because the photos just look too weird
- STAGE your photos by turning on lights, hiding garbage cans etc.
- If the sun isn’t out, then come back later for another cover shot
- Keep in mind that the buyer who is boarding a plane to house-hunt will only have time to see five homes in McLean, and will pick one to buy.
- Don’t be afraid to change the photos… if there was snow on the ground the first time and it is now May, take some new photos then upload them!
Having clear photos is an absolute must, #1 priority for me when I list a property. Why? Because home buyers wanting to see Mclean or Vienna homes for sale or Vienna Real Estate Listings have their iPhone or Droid real estate apps running all the time showing photos, photos and more photos.
Having poor quality real estate photos is a real no, no!
Leave a comment about any bad photos you have seen recently.